Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified individual to fill in the vacancy of Shelter & Infrastructure Field Assistant to work in Deir Ezzour under an employment contract
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been actively operating in Syria since 2008 mainly supporting refugees. In June 2012, DRC was authorized by the Syrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) to expand its humanitarian efforts and provide assistance to IDPs and the vulnerable resident population countrywide. Since then, DRC activities have been focused on NFI distributions, Shelter, WASH, Protection, Education, Livelihoods and Mine Risk Education in six Governorates (Damascus, Rural Damascus, Dara’a, Aleppo, Hama, and Homs). While Protection/community service activities are provided to beneficiaries throughout our six Community Centers.
About the job
The holder of this position will be responsible in the shelter, WASH, and school rehabilitation in the governorate of Deir Ezzour. He will conduct pre-assessment for the identified shelters, schools, and infrastructure network, also will follow up with contractors on the ongoing rehabilitation works, will take photos and document the delivered quantities. And he/she is responsible to interview beneficiaries for post monitoring reports.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct pre-assessment for schools, shelter, apartments and WASH infrastructure
- Draw sketch related to DRC rehabilitation activities
- AutoCAD drawings for DRC selected buildings and facilities
- Take photos for the proposed work site and selected ones
- Conduct monitoring visits during the implementation
- Conduct head counting
- Conduct quality survey with DRC beneficiaries
- Supervise and monitor the distribution of equipment and furniture
- Submit to the Project Officers accurate material prices from the market on a quarterly basis
- Any other task as requested by the direct manager and Shelter Manager
To be successful in this role we expect you to have
- Engineering institute or technical high school diploma
- Two years of experience in the construction domain.
- Basic use of AutoCAD
- Excellent command of the Arabic language
- Advanced use of AutoCAD
- Average command of the English language
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract Length: up to six months contract, renewable dependent on both funding and performance.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National Staff
- To apply please follow this link https://vacanciesinsyria.com/nonprofitjobs
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover letter where (vacanciesinsyria.com) you saw this job posting.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: the 6th of August 2020.
Need further information?
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process. Visit drc.ngo to read more about what we do to secure robust safeguarding mechanisms.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.